- To establish a household of faith
- To provide a way for a man and a woman to love each other
- To provide a legitimate and God-pleasing outlet for sexual desire
- To provide for the procreation and nurturing of children
- To provide for the mutual care of husband and wife in the commonwealth of goods
These are fleshed out in many different places. A good reference is the Small Catechism and Explanation. As listed above, these items are found in an excellent booklet we have at church called Second Thoughts about Living Together. This booklet provides a deeper explanation about marriage, and as its title says, a number of considerations for Christians against a practice in our culture that undermines this glorious gift from God.